Business Analyst - Critical Friend
We are looking for a highly experienced Business Analyst with experience of working with senior stakeholders/C-Suite level to serve as a Critical Friend for the MoD Defence Digital's New Style of IT programme. This role is an Inside IR35 role with increased rates and 2 year duration.
Summary of the work
The business analyst will act as a Critical Friend for the New Style of IT (Deployed) programme, providing independent scrutiny of programme performance; constructive challenge of delivery plans and strategies; technical advice and guidance to the leadership team; and mentoring support to the SRO.
Who the specialist will work with
The Critical Friend will work closely with the SRO, engage with Programme Board members and join briefings with senior stakeholders including the Chief Information Officer. The role will necessitate regular engagement with the Programme Director, based in UKStratCom HQ, Northwood and the Deployed Platform Services Delivery Team, based in Service Delivery and Operations, Corsham.
What the specialist will work on
- Provide independent scrutiny of programme performance.
- Provide constructive challenge of delivery plans and strategies.
- Provide technical advice and guidance to the leadership team.
- Provide mentoring support to the Senior Responsible Owner (SRO).
- Be a member of the Quarterly Programme Board.
- Be invited to attend the monthly Programme Executives and Capability Integration Working Groups.
Address where the work will take place
The individual will work remotely during the current Covid-19 pandemic. In future, attendance at UKStratCom HQ, Northwood and SDO, Corsham is likely to be required for Programme Boards and other events (these will be scheduled with at least four weeks advance notice).
The Critical Friend will be required to attend all quarterly Programme Boards (initially remotely) and on ad-hoc basis as required (with appropriate notification) Programme Executives; Capability Integration Working Groups; Demonstrations; and testing exercises. It is envisaged that this will equate to two days per month/24 days per year.
SC clearance must be in place prior to the contract starting due to the projects the individual is required to work with.
Essential skills and experience
- Experience delivering major capital IT projects. 30%
- Deep knowledge of technology-based services and operations. 30%
- Experience operating at Board-level in Government. 30%
- Track record of constructive challenge. 10%
Nice-to-have skills and experience
- Financial acumen: ability to interrogate financial management strategies, spending plans and cost models. 5%
- Commercial acumen: ability to advise on delivery models, procurement strategies and supplier engagement. 5%
Cultural fit criteria
- Work with a collaborative 'one team' mentality across the programme enterprise.
- Constructively challenge delivery plans and strategies.
- Provide honest and objective scrutiny of programme performance.
- Be prepared to act as a disruptor, injecting energy into challenging the status quo and thinking differently.
- Demonstrate integrity, discretion, and an appreciation of good governance and public propriety.
- Draw on experience, professional credibility and authority to challenge the leadership team.